If you need to ask a question click contact us.
1. Q. I have my Learner Permit 6 weeks, when can I sit my driving test?
A. You can sit your test once 6 months has elapsed from date of issue.
2. Q. Do you have to parallel park your car on your test?
A. There is no parallel parking required.
3. Why does the Tester not talk to you ?
To allow you to focus and concentrate on your driving test.
4. What do you think most people fail on in their test?
Generally, observation is what fails most people. Poor awareness of what is happening around you, not
observing the road well ahead, not anticipating what other road users may do. Not reacting early to
5. How long does the Test last?
The theory part of the exam will take approx ten minutes and your Driving Test will take approx 30 to 35 minutes
6. I struggle with Dyspraxia, could I talk out loud through-out my test, like do a running commentary because taking instruction while driving is fundamentally what a Dyspraxic cannot do?
Yes you can do a running commentary out loud while driving. You can also request a Supervisor
Examination when you submit your Driving Test Application form if you have been diagnosed with
Dyspraxia. You will need to call the RSA to arrange a Supervisors test.
7. Do I have to use my handbrake every time I stop?
If the tester asks you to stop then you should apply your handbrake, i.e Hill Start, Reverse, Turnabout. If you feel you might
roll-back on an incline then apply it. You should apply your handbrake if stopped at Traffic lights for a
time or in traffic for a prolonged time.
8. How many Test Routes are there?
A Tester will always have 5 or 6 different ways to bring you on your test, by just turning left instead of
right will alter a route. You should get to know the area and not a specific route.
9. Does my Tax Disc need to be current or will I get the benefit of the month's grace?
Your tax disc needs to be current and not expired. (see Test Centre info on main menu)
10. I am a Smoker. Can the Tester refuse to take me out on my test if they smell smoke odour in my car?
You have to remember that your car is their working enviroment and if the odour is too strong they may
well refuse your test. So avoid smoking on the day of your test in your vehicle and if need be put an
Air Freshener in.
11. Do I have to turn my head and look out the side and rearview windows when reversing if I am Pregnant as I find this
very awkward and uncomfortable to do?
You are not obliged to look in your left and rear windows considering your condition. Checking your
centre Mirror and wing mirrors will suffice.
12. What is the situation with the new "N" plate (Novice) that you have to display on your vehicle?
It is compulsory for any individual who passes their driving test to display the "N" plate for 2 years.
13. Will it not be very difficult to see out your rear window if you have an "N" and "L" plate displayed on it?
Yes it will, so I think the Government will have to come up with a single plate where both letters are
Please feel free to contact me regarding any item on this site or if you have a question to ask.
Click the contact icon on the right side above.
14. I would like to thank you for your articles on Dyspraxia. I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia when I was 4yrs.
Its been a struggle but I have managed well. I am only starting to drive but have an Automatic car which I
think will help me a lot.
Hi Janis, really glad you found the information helpful. Just keep up the good work and feel free to drop
me a mail.
15. I recently did my driving test in Tallaght. The tester was using a tablet to mark my errors which I
thought was much better than the marking sheet from last time. When we got back to the test centre he
gave me a sheet that had words circled and underlined. He said I passed which was great but he didn't tell
me how many grades I got and my instructor was waiting to see the results.
The RSA introduced a new marking system using a tablet which allows the tester to be a little more discreet when
marking.Unfortunately the new system is a lot more confusing as you are not aware of what grade's you get until
you will receive a detailed report via email or by post depending on how you applied. I feel this
is a step back rather than one forward. I have contacted the RSA highlighting this.
16. Where do you go to obtain your Learner Permit.
The Tax office no longer accepts applications for a learner permit or a full licence. You now have to go to your local NDLS office and apply there. You will need to bring I.D. Please follow this link NDLS for further details.
17. My Learner Permit is out of date for 2 years. Do I have to re-sit my Theory Test?
No you do not. You would have to re-sit your Theory Test if your Learner Permit has been out of date for 5 years.
18. What does the REDUCED EDT mean?
Please follow the link here
19. When will Driving Tests resume with Covid19 situation?
The HSE have not given both Driving Instructors and Testers any guidelines to restart our industry. As of 8th July we are still awaiting this information